The Living Coast Undersea Experience is an interactive, virtual reality & 360 experience, enabling users to explore the underwater environment of the Beachy Head West Marine Conservation Zone (BHW MCZ), which runs between Brighton Marina & Beachy Head, without getting wet! Click on the image below for a taster.
The Living Coast Undersea Experience was created by internationally acclaimed digital artist, Simon Wilkinson & Karen Poley, KP Projects, in a partnership including The Living Coast UNESCO Biosphere Region, Sussex Inshore Fisheries & Conservation Authority (IFCA) & Sussex Wildlife Trust. More about how the idea evolved HERE
TLC Undersea Experience aims to:
- Open up one of the UK’s most unique marine environments to everyone
- Raise awareness of BHW MCZ, home to one of the world’s only chalk reefs, with unique species of plant & animal life, which only a fraction of people know about
- Be a powerful kinaesthetic & educational experience to help people understand the environment & the things we can all do to help conserve it
Pilot Tour 2019
Before the pandemic, we ran a pilot project, touring to community, visitor & arts venues, an aquarium, museum & an outdoor event. We also experimented with working in schools, engaging primary & secondary year students. An incredible 2,455 people dived underwater with us & the feedback was overwhelmingly positive, with many inspired to change their behaviour to help conserve the marine environment.
Have a look at this short film to get a flavour:
An incredible 2,455 people dived underwater with us & the feedback was overwhelmingly positive, with many inspired to change their behaviour to help conserve the marine environment.
499 drawings by younger users & school students were made into this amazing online mosaic. Click HERE to explore
In 2022 we’re planning to continue:
* Developing our educational programme in schools
* Touring into local communities across & beyond the MCZ coastline & into the wider region across The Living Coast, South Downs National Park, Sussex Heritage Coast & the new-ish Beachy Head East MCZ
* Researching the project’s impact
Funding has been secured from:
* The Chalk Cliff Trust & South Downs National Park, to work with a Steering Group of primary & secondary teachers to create lesson plans & explore the potential for virtual reality in education
* Newhaven Grassroots Fund, Ouse Valley CARES & Sussex Community Foundation’s Newhaven EZ fund for training & work experience opportunities in Newhaven & the Ouse Valley
How to get involved
- Volunteering opportunities from 2022, more here…
- There are exciting & engaging sponsorship opportunities & the project needs patrons & funders to help develop subsequent touring opportunities for this amazing project across the Biosphere region to schools, community centres & venues. Please get in touch for further information: email@example.com
Have a closer look:
The Living Coast Undersea Experience is created by Simon Wilkinson of C!RCA69 & Karen Poley of KP Projects CIC; in partnership with The Living Coast Brighton & Lewes Downs, UNESCO designated Biosphere Region; Sussex Inshore Fisheries & Conservation Authority (IFCA); & Sussex Wildlife Trust.